Appealing a Grade

According to faculty policy and in an effort to maintain both equity and consistency, final semester grades can be changed only because of "clerical error." Students cannot, for example, petition to improve a course grade by offering to rewrite a paper, turn in additional work, or retake a final exam. Having a grade changed in a course is not a possibility unless such options are:

  1. available to all students in a given course, AND
  2. stated explicitly in the course syllabus

For more detailed information on the appeal process, please refer to is it possible for an L&S undergraduate student to appeal a grade and how do L&S departments approach student appeals concerning grades. Students can also find additional information regarding grades by going to grades and grading policy.