The Foreign Language Substitution package (FLSP) is for degree-seeking candidates in the College of Letters & Science (L&S) only who are seeking to fulfill the L&S foreign language requirement and also have a documented disability in foreign language acquisition. More specific information about the Foreign Language Substitution Package for L&S undergraduate students can be found in the Guide under Foreign Language.
The deadline to submit a completed application with all required documentation for the 2020-2021 academic year is:
- Fall 2020 Deadline: Friday, September 25, 2020 before 4:00 pm. Students can start submitting completed applications for a fall semester review on Wednesday, September 2, 2020.
- Spring 2021 Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021 before 4:00 pm. Students can start submitting completed applications for spring 2021 on Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
All students who submit a completed application by the deadline should hear back from the Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) regarding the status of their application approximately four weeks after the application deadline.
**Please make sure you submit your original completed application and also four (4) additional copies of your completed application to Suite 101 Ingraham Hall at 1155 Observatory Drive before 4:00 p.m. on Friday of the appropriate deadline listed above. A completed application must include five (5) copies of each of the five items below:
- High school transcript and transcripts from other post-secondary institutions you may have attended prior to UW-Madison (you will need to contact original high school or other institution of higher learning for these records if you do not have copies)
- UW-Madison transcript
- Copy of your most recent DARS (Please go to your My UW and access the Student Center to request a DARS.)
- Student application form (see p. 7 of Foreign Language Substitution Package application below)
- Copy of McBurney Faculty Notification Letter (or confirmation letter of accommodations received) if student has one
- Other relevant and current disability documentation assembled in consultation with McBurney Center staff
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed so make sure you submit all of the required documentation for consideration.
The Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) of the College of Letters & Science can approve a substitution to the foreign language requirement for students pursuing an undergraduate degree in Letters & Science only with certain disabilities that make a course substitution appropriate. Extensive and very specific documentation is required from students and disability specialists. The staff at McBurney Disability Resource Center will help you determine what documentation is necessary for the application, as well as assess whether additional testing is required.
Students are encouraged to file the application early (for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, no later than the fourth week of their third semester in residence; for senior transfers, no later than the fourth week of their first semester in residence, excluding summer sessions). The Committee meets once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Students will be notified in writing within seven to ten business days after the DCAC meets regarding the status of their application. *The committee does not meet to review applications in the summer*.
Please note that students who apply in their senior year may delay graduation. Students should submit application materials only during the semester they wish their application to be considered.
BABS07 Foreign Language Substitution Package for Fall 2020