The College of Letters & Science Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services is an office that assists students in reaching their academic potential, attaining their undergraduate degrees, and realizing their human promise as citizens of a global community. Academic Deans’ Services primary mission is:
- To provide accurate and comprehensive information about L&S academic rules and procedures for L&S undergraduate students, faculty, staff, and other interested parties.
- Approve and process thousands of changes to undergraduate registration and records each term.
- Make discretionary decisions regarding the interpretation and implementation of College policy as it relates to individual cases and manage appeals of related concerns.
- Participate in the development and evolution of L&S College Policy.
- Provide backup and troubleshooting skills for L&S situations involving academic policy and records issues.
L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services also works:
- To provide services, information, and support to L&S undergraduate students, faculty, staff, and other constituencies engaged in educational programs, policies, and outreach
- To assist campus-wide efforts to integrate a variety of voices into the University community in order to offer a welcoming, supportive, and responsive campus climate
Students will sometimes be encouraged by their academic advisor or instructor to speak with a dean. This always refers students to an academic dean and never to the Dean of the College of Letters & Science. If you are an L&S undergraduate student who has been advised to speak with the dean or an academic dean, please contact L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services for more assistance.
L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services may be contacted at:
110 Ingraham Hall
1155 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1319
Tel.: (608) 262-0617
Fax: (608) 262-5093
(Please make sure you include your 10-digit UW-Madison campus ID number when communicating via email.)
Hours: 8:15 am – 4:30 pm (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays)**
Dean on Call Hours : 1:15 pm – 3:00 pm (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays) – Individuals can call in to get assistance with general academic issues from an academic dean via phone. There are no walk-in hours for Dean on Call. Students who need to meet with an academic dean should set up an appointment.
**L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services is closed every Wednesday from 10:00 am – 11:30 am for a weekly staff meeting.
L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services will be closed on the following official state holiday dates:
Thursday, November 28, 2019
Tuesday, December 24, 2019
Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Wednesday, January 1, 2020
Monday, January 20, 2020
Monday, May 25, 2020