L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services (ADS) will be available to work with students, faculty, and staff virtually during the spring 2021 term. If you need the assistance of an academic dean or any of our services, please send an email to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU or call our office at 608-262-0617 during regular business hours (8:00 am – 4:30 pm CT) Monday through Friday. All appointments, meetings, or “dean-on-call” consultations can be held virtually via either Microsoft Teams or telephone. Any updates regarding our services will be available on this website.
When communicating with L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services via email at LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU, please make sure you include the following details in your email communication so we can get back to you in a timely manner:
- Full name
- Student ID number
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Reason for the contact
The College of Letters & Science Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services is an office that assists students in reaching their academic potential, attaining their undergraduate degrees, and realizing their human promise as citizens of a global community. Academic Deans’ Services primary mission is:
- To provide accurate and comprehensive information about L&S academic rules and procedures for L&S undergraduate students, faculty, staff, and other interested parties.
- Approve and process thousands of changes to undergraduate registration and records each term.
- Make discretionary decisions regarding the interpretation and implementation of College policy as it relates to individual cases and manage appeals of related concerns.
- Participate in the development and evolution of L&S College Policy.
- Provide backup and troubleshooting skills for L&S situations involving academic policy and records issues.
L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services also works:
- To provide services, information, and support to L&S undergraduate students, faculty, staff, and other constituencies engaged in educational programs, policies, and outreach
- To assist campus-wide efforts to integrate a variety of voices into the University community in order to offer a welcoming, supportive, and responsive campus climate
Students will sometimes be encouraged by their academic advisor or instructor to speak with a dean. This always refers students to an academic dean and never to the Dean of the College of Letters & Science. If you are an L&S undergraduate student who has been advised to speak with the dean or an academic dean, please contact L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services for more assistance.
L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services may be contacted at:
101 Ingraham Hall
1155 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1319
Tel.: (608) 262-0617
Fax: (608) 262-5093
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays)**
Spring 2021 Reception Hours: 9:00 am – 11:00 am & 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
(Please make sure you include your 10-digit UW-Madison campus ID number when communicating via email.)
******Please note that in-person appointments or consultations have been canceled until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic impact on campus and in Dane County. Students who wish to make a phone appointment should send an email to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU for further assistance.
Dean on Call Hours : 1:15 pm – 3:00 pm (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays) – Individuals can call in to get assistance with general academic issues from an academic dean via phone. All dean-on-call consultations are held virtually via Microsoft Teams or via telephone. Students who need to meet with an academic dean should set up a phone appointment or a Microsoft Teams virtual appointment.
**L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services is closed every week at the following time for staff meetings:
- Wednesdays: 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
UW-Madison and L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services will be closed on the following official state holidays:
Monday, May 31, 2021
Monday, July 5, 2021 (Independence Day Observed)
Monday, September 6, 2021
Thursday, November 25, 2021
Friday, December 24, 2021
Friday, December 31, 2021