According to faculty policy and in an effort to maintain both equity and consistency, final semester grades can be changed only because of “clerical error”. Students cannot, for example, petition to improve a course grade by offering to rewrite a paper, turn in additional work, or retake a final exam. The only time this is allowed is when such options:
- are available to all students in a given course, and
- are stated explicitly in the course syllabus.
For additional information, see grade change policy for L&S undergraduate students.
If a grade change is in order, the following items are important for the efficient and accurate processing of grade changes:
- Grade changes should be made electronically. Information on how to submit an electronic grade change can be found at changing grades electronically.
- If an electronic grade change is not possible, a grade change request form will need to be submitted. Please note that paper grade changes are only allowed for students who do not appear on the grade roster for a course. All other grade changes must be done electronically through the grade rosters on My UW Madison.
- Grade change requests are used only when the grade change cannot be done online/electronically.
- All information must be provided on the grade change request form if it is not possible to submit the grade electronically. Incomplete grade change request form will be returned to the department.
- The instructor of the course must sign the grade change request form.
- The Chair of the department (or the Chair’s designee) must countersign the form.
- All Letters & Science forms should be sent to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services located in 101 Ingraham Hall. The request to change a grade will be reviewed by an academic dean in L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services. If an instructor does not have access to the Grade Change Request Form, please send an email via your wisc.edu email account to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU for assistance in obtaining a copy of the form.