For the Spring 2021 term only, please note that the last day to drop a course (or courses) without an academic dean’s permission has been extended to Friday, April 16, 2021. Students can drop courses up until 11:59 pm on April 16th. See Dates & Deadlines for more detailed information.
Courses may not be dropped after the 12th week of the fall 2020 term except in extremely unusual circumstances, and only with the approval of an academic dean. (Please note that summer term drop deadlines are usually within the first week or two of a particular summer session. See Summer Key Deadlines for more specific details.)
In order to obtain a drop after the official deadline, a student should have verifiable non-academic circumstances beyond their control which prevented them from dropping the course in a timely manner or from completing the course. Please note that the last day to request a late drop is on the last day of classes prior to the start of final exams for the fall or spring term. The deadline for summer term late drop requests will be on the last day of the particular summer session. Please see dates & deadlines for more detailed information.
If the class(es) you hope to drop are still in progress, please use the Late Drop Form below. If you wish to drop a class that was taken in a previous term or after the last day of classes, please visit the Retroactive Drop Request page.
To request a drop, you must BOTH:
- Submit this completed form (see below)
- Schedule an appointment to meet with an academic dean. (Please call L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at 608-262-0617 or send an email to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU to schedule an appointment to speak with an academic dean).
- L&S undergraduate students on F-1 and J-1 visas must obtain permission to drop below full-time status. Detailed information on getting permission to drop below full-time can be found at reduced course load.
- Please note that due to a large number of requests submitted late in the semester, student requests may be reviewed without the need to speak with a dean. You will be informed if this is the case when you call our office.
A student MUST first read through the Late Drop information above and THEN fill out the information below. Please note that in order to obtain a drop after the official deadline, it is important that an individual provides strong documentation of their circumstances. (Extenuating circumstances should occurred and be able to be well documented.) Examples of documentation that should be provided are as follows:
- Death of a family member or friend
- Obituary or death certificate
- Letter from counselor
- Documentation should include date and indicate relationship to the deceased
- Family Issues
- Letter from therapist or counselor
- Medical Issues (serious illness, hospitalization, mental health, change in health status)
- Letter from doctor with advised period of recovery
- Record of doctor visits
- Hospitalization records
- Copies of medical bills documenting illness/injury
- Letter from doctor, therapist, or counselor
Please feel free to provide written feedback from your instructor(s) regarding your class participation and academic performance if you believe this information would be helpful to the academic dean reviewing your situation.
Providing documentation *is not *a guarantee that a student’s request to drop or retroactively drop a class will be granted. Earning a poor grade in a course, not being aware of deadlines, or not receiving feedback on an examination until after the deadline are a few examples that are not considered strong reasons for obtaining a drop after the deadline.
After filling out the form below, a student must call the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at (608) 262-0617 to schedule an appointment to speak with an academic dean.
Please be sure to print a copy of the information – before you hit “SUBMIT” – to keep for your records.**
All Fields Below Require an Answer
Late Drop Request Form