Information on Appealing your “Dropped for One Year Status” (Faculty Appeals)
The deadline for students who have been dropped at the end of the fall 2020 term to appeal on January 14 and 15, 2021 has passed. New applications WILL NOT be accepted if students did not apply by 11:59 pm on Thursday, January 7, 2021.
The College of Letters & Science undergraduate students have the opportunity to appeal the “dropped for one year status” from the University of Wisconsin-Madison by participating in the Appeals Process (also known as Faculty Appeals). It is important to note that appealing one’s drop status does not guarantee a student will be readmitted to the University. For feedback from a student who took a year off after being dropped, please see One Student’s Story.
The upcoming Faculty Appeals is only for students who have been dropped (placed on academic suspension) at the conclusion of the most recent term. Please see below for details on the appeals process. The deadline to request an appeal for students dropped at the end of fall 2020 is 11:59 pm on Thursday, January 7, 2021.
If you are an L&S undergraduate student who has been dropped and have been away from your formal studies at UW-Madison for at least one year, please see information on Readmission.
To determine your status, please refer to:
The Appeals Process has three parts.
- Complete and submit appeals request form by 11:59 pm, Thursday, January 7, 2021. This form lets us know you want to appeal for immediate readmission to UW-Madison. When we receive this form, we will send you a link where you can submit your appeals materials.
- Upload your appeal materials by 11:59 pm, Sunday, January 10, 2021.
- Attend a virtual appeal hearing on Wednesday, January 13 or Thursday, January 14, 2021.
Appeals statement – Required
This statement is your chance to explain your circumstances, and, most importantly, what changes you have made so that you can be academically successful in spring 2021.
Supporting material – Optional
- Documentation of the factors contributing to your dropped status
- Documentation proving that you have addressed/resolved the factors or circumstances that have contributed to your dropped status
- Documentation of why you believe you have a realistic chance of being successful if immediately readmitted to continue your studies (for instance, letter from a professor stating that work has been completed, detailed doctor’s note about your health progress to date, etc.)
- Other relevant documents
Appeals materials must be submitted by the deadline using the process outlined here. Be sure to keep a copy of all appeals materials for your records.
Students can appeal only once during the appeals period. Decisions rendered by the faculty appeals committee are final. Students cannot appeal a sustained decision made during faculty appeals.
Additional Student Information
Please note that a student is only permitted to appeal one (1) time for readmission consideration immediately after being dropped for one full year.
If your drop status is sustained, you will be eligible for readmission consideration one year after the date of your drop. Please refer to information on the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services website on readmission for further information.
Appeals material submitted after the January 7, 2021 official deadline WILL NOT be considered and students willed to take off at least one fuller from their formal studies at UW-Madison.
If you experience problems submitting your information via the online form (e.g., receive an error message when trying to submit the form), please copy the questions on to a WORD document, answer all of the questions, and then send the document to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU.
***Make sure that you print a copy of your appeal information for your records for future reference after filling out the form completely and pressing the “submit” button below.
If you do not plan to appeal and are registered for spring classes, please drop your courses using the Student Center as soon as possible. Students enrolled int he fall term who have been dropped for one year and not approved for immediate readmission will be administratively withdrawn immediately after faculty appeals.