The College of Letters & Science policy is that students must drop semester-long courses by the end of the 9th week of classes. Courses may not be dropped after the 9th week except in extremely unusual circumstances, and only with the approval of a dean. (Please note that summer term drop deadlines are usually within the first week or two of a particular summer session. See Summer Key Deadlines for more specific details.)
If the class(es) you hope to drop are still in progress, please use the Late Drop Form below. If you wish to drop a class that was taken in a previous term, please visit the Retroactive Drop Request page.
To request a drop, you must BOTH:
- Submit this completed form (see below)
- Schedule an appointment to meet with an academic dean. (Please call L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at 608-262-0617 to schedule an appointment to speak with an academic dean).
A student MUST first read through the Late Drop information above and THEN fill out the information below. Please note that in order to obtain a drop after the official deadline, it is important that an individual provides strong documentation of verifiable circumstances beyond a student’s control which prevented the student from dropping the course in a timely manner. Extenuating circumstances should have occurred and can be well documented. Examples of documentation that should be provided are as follows:
- Death of a family member or friend
- Obituary or death certificate
- Letter from counselor
- Documentation should include date and indicate relationship to the deceased
- Family Issues
- Letter from therapist or counselor
- Medical Issues (serious illness, hospitalization, mental health, change in health status)
- Letter from doctor with advised period of recovery
- Record of doctor visits
- Hospitalization records
- Copies of medical bills documenting illness/injury
- Letter from doctor, therapist, or counselor
Please feel free to provide written feedback from your instructor(s) regarding your class participation and academic performance if you believe this information would be helpful to the academic dean reviewing your situation.
Providing documentation *is not *a guarantee that a student’s request to drop or retroactively drop a class will be granted. Earning a poor grade in a course, not being aware of deadlines, or not receiving feedback on an examination until after the deadline are a few examples that are not considered strong reasons for obtaining a drop after the deadline.
After filling out the form below, a student must call the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at (608) 262-0617 to schedule an appointment to speak with an academic dean.
Please be sure to print a copy of the information – before you hit “SUBMIT” – to keep for your records.**
All Fields Below Require an Answer
Late Drop Request Form