Information on Appealing your “Dropped for One Year Status (Faculty Appeals)
The College of Letters & Science undergraduate students have the opportunity to appeal the “dropped for one year status” from the University of Wisconsin-Madison by participating in the Appeals Process (also known as Faculty Appeals). It is important to note that appealing one’s drop status does not guarantee a student will be readmitted to the University. For feedback from a student who took a year off after being dropped, please see One Student’s Story.
The upcoming Faculty Appeals is only for students who have been dropped (placed on academic suspension) at the conclusion of the most recent term. If you are an L&S undergraduate student who has been dropped and have been away from your formal studies at UW-Madison for at least one year, please see information on Readmission.
To determine your status, please refer to:
The Appeals Process has two parts. Read through the very important information below about appealing your drop status.
- Complete and submit the following web form to sign up for an appointment on a specific date. Please note that if you are unable to attend on that date or miss your appointment you cannot reschedule.
- After submitting your web form you will be contacted with an appointment time. During your appointment you will meet with an Appeals Committee (consisting of an assistant dean and two faculty members) to discuss the factors or circumstances that led to your poor academic performance; how these factors or circumstances have been resolved; and your specific plan for academic success.
Completing the questions on the web form below will help you prepare for your appointment. Please allow yourself time for reflection before answering and submitting your responses to the questions. Make sure that you print a copy of the information you have submitted for your records.
Upcoming Appeal Dates and Deadlines for students dropped after spring 2019:
- Appeals for readmission for summer/fall 2019 will be held on Thursday, June 6, 2019 and Friday, June 7, 2019.
- Your appeal date and time will be assigned; you will be notified of your appointment time by 6:30 pm CDT on Tuesday, June 4, 2019.
- If extraordinary circumstances (for instance, international travel) limit your availability to a specific date or time, please explain when you fill out the web form. Please note that requests for a specific date and/or time will be honored as space is available and in order of receipt, if possible. However, it may not be possible to accommodate all requests for specifics dates and/or times.
- Students can appeal only once during the appeals period. Decisions rendered by the faculty appeals committee are final.
Deadline for submitting web form is as follows:
Sunday, June 2, 2019, by 11:59 pm CDT for students appealing their drop status at the Faculty Appeals. Appeals submitted after this date will not be considered and students will need to take off at least one full year from their formal studies at UW-Madison.
- This appeal is only for students who have just been put on academic suspension/dropped after taking a course (or courses) during the spring 2019 term.
- Students who were put on academic suspension/dropped prior to spring 2019 are not eligible to appeal on June 6th and June 7th.
Please note that a student is only permitted to appeal one (1) time for readmission consideration immediately after being dropped for one full year.
If your drop status is sustained, you will be eligible for readmission consideration one year after the date of your drop by calling the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at (608) 262-0167 to set up an individual appointment and after reading through readmission. Appeals submitted after the June 2, 2019 official deadline WILL NOT be considered and students will need to take off at least one full year from their formal studies at UW-Madison.
If you experience problems submitting your information via the online form (e.g., receive an error message when trying to submit the form), please copy the questions on to a WORD document, answer all of the questions, and then send the document to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU.
***Make sure that you print a copy of your appeal information for your records for future reference after filling out the form completely and pressing the “submit” button below.